Synagogue

At least one Jewish family living in the area has been traced back as far as 1842. Eventually the group grew to 13 families, who declared themselves a community in 1886.

On the 31st of October 1900, Reading Synagogue officially opened with an engaging public ceremony, packed to capacity with dignitaries, and lead by the then Chief Rabbi Hermann Marcus Adler.

The beautiful Synagogue,  a Grade 2 listed, to a traditional design, in the Moorish style has a warm and homely feel and stands to-day on its original site at the junction of Goldsmid Road and Clifton Street, which is also within a 5 minutes walk from the town centre.

Registered 
   Charity
No. 220098